African Development Bank Young Professionals Program 2018 for young Africans | Opportunities For Africans
August 22, 2017
Do you have passion and commitment to development of Africa? Outstanding academic and professional achievements? A commitment to engage in crucial issues in Africa’s development? Do you wish to make a difference, be part of something bigger than yourself and explore your leadership potential? If yes, you are the one we are looking for.
The African Development Bank Young Professionals Program (YPP) is a three year leadership opportunity for the development of Bank’s future leaders. ADB attract highly qualified and motivated professionals from our member countries for a productive and rewarding career path in development. Through the YPP, the Bank ensures continuity and excellence in both the management of its work programs and the provision of policy advice to its regional member countries.
To join us, you should:
- Be a citizen of a regional or non-regional AfDB member country
- Be 32 years of age or younger by 31st December, 2017
Possess a Master’s degree or equivalent in any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, with outstanding academic credentials
- Have at least 3 years work experience in the areas related to our high priority areas (Hi-5s).
- Demonstrable on-the-ground/hands-on experience on the African continent and/or in other continent’s developing countries
- Have passion for Africa’s Development
- Demonstrate strengths in leadership including leading others
- Able to leverage knowledge, share and coach others
- Effectively work in teams with adaptability to a diverse environment
- Strong analytical skills, an entrepreneurial drive, results-orientation and problem-solving capability
- Business Acumen and innovation mindset.
- Be proficient in the Bank’s working languages, either English and/or French.
- Have skills that enable you work in a digital environment and embrace technology as it evolves
- Be willing to live in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire the Bank’s Headquarters, and travel to undertake country assignments.
Feature of the ADB YPP
The Young Professionals Program offers you a platform to build an exceptional and fulfilling career in the Bank. This development program spans 36 months and is structured under the Young Professionals Learning Academy.
It is delivered in batches of 6 months each, to deepen knowledge and build technical and leadership skills necessary for future roles.
The learning will immerse you into different functional areas of the Bank where you will have hands-on experience in projects and various work assignments. Partnerships with experts from recognized institutions support us to deliver training such as leadership development.
YPP Support Mechanisms
- Coaching: During rotations, your coach will identify development areas for you in your current role.
- Mentoring & Sponsoring: Mentors &Sponsors will be selected from Vice-Presidents and Directors depending on the different domains that the Mentees wish to evolve This Program will also help build women in leadership which is a priority for the Bank. Through mentoring and sponsoring, the Talent Councils will identify YPs who need to be fast tracked for the succession plan for VPs and Director’ positions, decide on the projects to be conducted. There is a need to define implementation guidelines: TORs, work plan, etc.
- A“Buddy-System”: You will be assigned a “Buddy” from the previous YP cohort, who will serve as a source of information and support during your familiarization with the Bank and country of assignment.
- YPP Coordination Team: the YPP team is dedicated to the recruitment, training, performance evaluation and rotation management of the YP cohorts to ensure their successful completion of the Program.
- YP Liaison Team (YPLT): two representatives are selected from the YP cohort and serve as active link between all YP cohorts and the YPP Coordination team in the HR Department. The YPLT serves one year and also sits on the YPP Steering Committee.
If selected you will receive an official offer in writing and are expected to report for duty in February 2018.
You will be required to submit a written acceptance of the offer of appointment via email within two weeks of notification. Confirmation of the offer is subject to a satisfactory medical examination, verification of relevant educational and professional certificates, verification of academic and professional references and production of a valid certificate or other proof of nationality. Offers of appointment are only valid for the same recruitment year.
How to Apply:
The application checklist is meant to facilitate your application experience.
- Provide an email address; and an alternative one. Fill in correct e-mail address since this will be the main means of communication
- Answer all the questions
- Provide the most current contact information. Ensure that you email us with updated data, should your contacts change during the recruitment process
- Complete phone number (country code + city code + number)
- Upload the following required documents (mandatory):
– Maximum two page Curriculum Vitae in Microsoft Word version.
– Copies of Academic Certificates/Transcripts.
– PhD Dissertation/Master’s Thesis topic (short summary), if applicable.
– You will be expected to write an essay of about 800 words.
For More Information: