STOCKHOLM Minister for Culture and Democracy Alice Bah Kuhnke on Sunday condemned Saturday’s attack on a mosque in Stockholm.
In remarks made to Anadolu Agency, Kuhnke said the Swedish government had launched an investigation into the incident.
“I myself called Orhan Karan, the head of Setra Turkish Islamic Cultural Association. I conveyed the message of Prime Minister Stefan Lofven that he felt sad and condemned the attack,” she said.
“Everyone in Sweden has the right to practice their religion. Those who try to hinder and launch attacks have no place in Sweden. This attack took place in Sweden. As the government, we will try our best to find the perpetrators of this attack.
“We do not want such ugly attacks to take place again,” she added.
On Saturday, swastikas and the text “kill Muslims” had been scribbled near the entrance of the mosque in the southwestern Stockholm suburb of Bredang, not far from the center of the Swedish capital.
A loud bang was also reported before 8 a.m. local time (0700GMT) from an adjacent gym during morning prayers. Firework residue was found at the building but no injuries were reported.
Referring to the assault, the head of Turkey’s Religious Affairs Directorate, Mehmet Gormez, said in Ankara on Sunday he was worried about the increase in attacks on mosques and Islamophobia in Europe.
*Reporting by Atilla Altuntas; Writing by Ahmet Sait Akcay